The Journey To My Child Begins With The First Step

I am a single woman taking the journey to my child. What started out an international journey has lead me back to America by way of domestic adoption. Adopting from: USA - Stage in Process: Homestudy complete- State of Residence: California - Agency: Heartsent

Thursday, August 31, 2006

It's been a while...(ramblings on the adoption wait)

I know I should be happy to think into the future and know that, by this time next year, I will be holding my little one in my arms. BUUUUUUTTTT...The wait is terrible. It now seems as thought USCIS is taking months to process and review received homestudies. I know I know I have no real need to freak out yet, my homestudy isn't even done, but the extra time is just that, extra time! I think I need to hold out hope that my child is just not born yet and the waiting will work out in the end. I know once I have a referral that is all that truly matters, but for now, I have a bit of tunnel vision and I already want my referral. I hear of all the families traveling or returning home and I want that to be me. Oh well, this too shall pass. (But when?!?!?) I knew I wasn't very patient before I started this, but once I decide on something, I really look forward to it happening with some consistent progress. It seems like everything that gets done takes an extra week. It all just adds up. My grandmother fingerprints (after 2 attempts and 2 1/2 months, I can't even remember how long now) never showed up at the DOJ. They had absolutely no reference of them. I was so frustrated and hurt, because now we get to wait again. She had them done AGAIN on Wednesday and hopefully by Tuesday we will hear that they didn't come back (she's 84 and they never pass the first time) and then I can have them redone and passed with a background check by the end of next week. Realistically I know they will pass by the 15th (hopefully), which is another 1/2 of a month. Then (if the agency doesn't throw one more 'missing' thing at me), my homestudy will be complete, but if the SW still needs to add info to it, it may not be done until the end of September, then 2-3 months (let's hope less, but I doubt it) to review and set up a fingerprinting appointment. Again this will take 2 submissions from g-ma, so there goes another 3 weeks to a month. Then the wait for the ever coveted I-171H (officially considered 'paper ready'). Again another 2-3 months (let's hope far less) and then I can expect a referral. At this pace I may not even have a referral by the end of the year. I guess I was hoping for this because if I was able to stay with the Guatemala program I would have had a referral weeks ago. Even if I would have waited until I was paper ready, I would still have had a referral by the end of the year. It sounds as though USCIS is very backlogged, so maybe, just maybe they will hire some extra help just until the end of the year to process all these waiting homestudies. There are just too many families out there waiting for children. Well enough of this, it just bums me out.
On a happy note, one of my best friends is coming up with her husband and mom this weekend. We are going to hang out in San Francisco and then go to Alcatraz (I've never been) and then scrapbook! WooHoo, sounds like fun. I hope everyone has a great weekend and for all those waiting on the important stuff, like a G & R date and travel approval and the like, I hope Tuesday brings you many happy updates.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:38 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

    Have a great weekend and I am really sorry about the fingerprint issue. That is no fun. It will happen.

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Blogger saucygoat said...

    I'm sorry that things are just taking so long and your grandmother's fingerprints haven't passed yet. I wish you a good weekend (I love scrapbooking too)!

     
  • At 5:23 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

    I can empathize with your impatience. we haven't even had our homestudy yet (but sent the big check and have a date) and I am allready impatient also!
    I hope USCIS speeds up soon, as I am allready stressed out over their backlog, and we aren't even at that point yet.
    hang in there..and have fun with your friends this weekend.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home