The Journey To My Child Begins With The First Step

I am a single woman taking the journey to my child. What started out an international journey has lead me back to America by way of domestic adoption. Adopting from: USA - Stage in Process: Homestudy complete- State of Residence: California - Agency: Heartsent

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

An email to a friend

This is an excerpt from an email I just sent to a friend to give her an update on what's new with me:

"I am adopting internationally (from Guatemala). I am meeting with the social worker next week for my first of three visits. (Sooo exciting.) I am still in the paperchase phase, but determined to get all I can ASAP so that I will only be waiting on the governments to complete their end. I am hoping to have a referral (which is photos and a medical description of a child which I then take to the pediatrician to chart for abnormalities. I can, at this point, accept the referral/child) by the middle of October or early November, possibly soo ner. This then starts the process on the Guatemala side where the lawyer down there submits all my translated forms for review by the government; they do one last DNA test and social worker interview with the birth mother and then I get an appointment with the US consulate in Guatemala to submit more forms and receive a visa for my child. I can do a visit trip (probably 5 days there), once the child and birth mother pass their first (of two) DNA test(s), and then again once I have an appointment date set with the consulate. This is usually two months or so after your visit trip. Everything takes between 9 and 10 months. And I should have the baby home by 5 1/2-6 months old. (Wow, I just re-read that and it's a little confusing, sorry I didn't make that clearer.)"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home